[Cob] Cobber looking to cob

paul dotpaul at paulleblanc.net
Sun Jun 10 11:05:56 CDT 2007

Hi, here's an interesting article about passive air conditioning by use of a
"cooling tower" (a Persian design.)  I don't think it's really 100% passive
because you need to pump small amounts of water up to the top of the tower,
but that is minimal and can be handled by 12 volt.  It's pretty ingenious.
The best part is that it is the total ventilation system as it drags the
cool air down the tower and into the house, as it forces the hot air out the
solar chimney.  Very nice.  No need to swelter even in brutally hot
climates.  Between this and some thermal mass of cob or adobe you have a
very nice "climate" inside.

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/aircool.htm

Has anybody heard of the following technique?  You drill small holes in the
window sills and at the bottoms of doors, close up the windows tight,  with
an attic fan pulling air in through the small holes?  Supposedly the air is
cooled down by forcing it through the small holes (and it dehydrates it to
some degree.)  I can't find info about this though, so if you know of it can
you post it?  I heard long ago that Indians in Florida used this technique
but leveraged the breezes instead of a fan.  Apparently if you play the
breezes right (which has to do with creating high and low pressures) it can
be done passively.

I think that effect is known as the Venturi effect.  It's sort of like
ramming air through a small space to create velocity and this causes an A/C
effect.  I've been searching without much luck though.  Anybody know more
about this?