[Cob] floors

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Wed Jun 13 18:45:00 CDT 2007

Everyone...
	I'm planning to do a cob floor. My building is set into the hillside
a few inches deep in the back. Does the floor level have to be above
the outside ground level or just above the bottom of the drainage
ditch? Also, can the floor level be above the foundation (cob floor
connected to cob wall) or does the rock foundation need to come above
the floor level (cob floor connected to rock wall)? This was
mentioned before and was determined the only reason the foundation
would come above the floor level would be to protect the walls in
case the floor was flooded. Then the water would soak into the floor
instead of draining. But if it was cob floor against cob wall the
water would be absorbed by the wall. Either is bad news. What's the
chances of flooding in the mountains anyway?

Thanks a bunch,
Damon Howell
North Georgia