[Cob] stem wall height

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 13:14:32 CDT 2007

If you had a wrap around porch you'd have no splash.........that's always been my preferred cob or strawbale design...

  Most wood buildings that I've fixed the outside of were due to poor or NO overhangs. Me thinks that the water got IN and SETTLED in some horizontal place (i.e. on top of a stem wall or foundation) and SAT there rotting the sills or eroding the masonry MORE then the problem of splashing - which plaster will take care of more often then not. Vertical surfaces drip off, horizontal ones soak in!

  My 2

  Marlin

Damon Howell <dhowell at pickensprogress.com> wrote:
  Hello,
The going philosophy of the stem wall is it has to be knee high
to keep the cob walls from getting soaked from splashing rain, right?
What do you think of starting the cob lower to the ground and adding,
say, flagstone to the bottom part of the wall. Would the high stem
wall be necessary even with a super wide eve on the roof?

Damon
N. GA