[Cob] Building retaining walls

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jun 28 11:57:06 CDT 2007

Earth bags and rebar might work.. I have a sloped hill side too... and
was going to use stacked, 'topless' tires, but decided on the bags, old
coffee bean burlap sacks are strong...fill with rocky dirt( no worries
on cob /clay quality- and stabilize with hydrated lime if desired)

, dig a shallow trench , fill with  rocks for drainage,  lay the bags
in brick building style ( 1 over 2, 2 over 1) stabilize by pouding
rebar, or bamboo, or ??  salvaged metal pipe?  thru, and coat with
earthen/lime plaster.

  I was going to make a "flower box" on top with some redwood slats to
make a long narrow box. and plant some sweet peas, etc. to hav a
flower bd to cover over the  privacy wall

Rammed tired are very popular, and take the ( one sidewall)  top rim
off-- much easier to pound/fill with any old dirt.  I can email a photo
os a  "step/ramp" I did with 7 tires  if you like.

Charmaine