[Cob] purpose of straw in cob

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Jul 13 02:30:17 CDT 2007

this question reveals much that needs to be learned...

how can you be "ready to cob" if you don't know why straw is included
in the mix???  just where have you learned about cob, and from whom
did you learn it?

in order to mix and build with cob, you need to know several things -
quality of clay, the right kind of sand, the best quality straw, and
the right mix of all three, along with water to mix them into cob.  i
can't believe that there isn't any straw in the state of georgia.
what do farmers do for their animal bedding?

don't build with cob until you take a workshop, from someone skilled
in cob building, who can then explain all you need to know - the
proper way to make a good cob mix, a good foundation, a good roof.
if you are planning to build a structure which will be inhabited, you
must do so safely, or face the possibility of a catastrophic failure!

sorry to be the harbinger of doom and gloom,
ocean