[Cob] straw - in cob - does not insulate!

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Jul 13 18:01:34 CDT 2007

the straw fibers which are embedded in a cob wall are compressed to
such a degree that it doesn't trap a significant amount of air to
serve any insulative function. cob structures are cozy because of
their thermal mass - not insulation - in their ability to store heat
and stabilize interior temperatures, much like a cave dwelling.

so, let's be clear on the coblist:  the tensile strength from the
fibers of straw is what make cob a building material, instead of just
a mound of sandy clay.  and if you can't find straw, any hay of good
quality - oat for instance, with long firm stalks - will work as well
as straw.