[Cob] self-building - ovens vs. dwellings

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Jul 13 18:08:14 CDT 2007

It is possible to build an oven with very little instruction,
especially since Kiko Denzer has outlined in excruciating detail all
the information necessary in his book, Build Your Own Earth Oven.

An oven is a simple dome structure, and once fired most of the straw
"cokes" (burns to carbon without any flame) and no longer yields
strength to the oven.  The domed-nature of the oven is supported in
part by the lightly-fired clay center, which now resembles a weak
porcelain.

Building a dwelling or other structure where people will be inside,
under a wall-supported roof is another story altogether.  I would not
recommend it.  The roofing and walls of a cob building can weight
several thousand pounds, and while your oven's collapse may ruin
dinner, a building's collapse will definitely ruin your day.

People have been killed when improperly built cob walls failed.