[Cob] stabilised cob foundations (hold the earthbags)

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Wed Aug 15 13:10:55 CDT 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Robert Alcock wrote:

What percentage of lime do the experts recommend for that "fully
stabilized soil", by the way?

as little as 1-2% by volume of lime to soil can do the job, but as high
as 8%  is used.  I till in hydrated lime all aound muddy path areas,
and it does the job. then I cver with bark or shredded sawdust and lay
dow a step stone and no more mowing.. horray!!!

HOEVER  I just learned something today.. the evil pernicious Curly Dock
weed  LOVES lime in the soil... I did a whole back area meaning to put
down a deck of salvaged wood, but got delayed, and in ONE MONTH the
curly dock  is 3'-4'  TALL-  no kidding -- and full of seeds.. it took
over so fast that I cannot see the blocks laid for footers anymore.  so
if you want to GROW stuff..add hydrated lime!!

tilling it in very well is key, and  even if it is stabilizes, and get
very wet-- it will wick up to the cob resting on it I believe, so a
barrier might be a good idea in case of long rainy seasons .

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  www.papercrete.com
PO BOX 375   CUTTEN CA 95534  USA
Tel:  707-441-1632   11-4 PST