[Cob] hay seeds-sterilize & bear poo in cob

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Tue Aug 28 13:40:36 CDT 2007

Dean said:   why not sterilize the seeds?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

  I learned this tip from  Carla Emery  (RIP) author of country living
skill books.

She had told me the best way to kill off weeks and seeds was just to
cover with a black tarp, and let them solar cook.

I also do this with horse poo collected at the local stables.  the
horse dung in  placed between two sheets of black plastic, and left in
the sun for a few days to kill of any pathogens that MAY be there, and
also to dry and crumble up the  poo.

Now is the time to admit I love playing mad scientist, and  I even
collected fresh bear scat    and solar dried it too. ( I walk my dogs
in the woods all around me and there is always  lots of bear scat
around. )

I wondered if bear poo could be used in  cob, but alas..it has NONE of
the properties you want.  no long fibers, only seeds from berries.
So if any of you even thought about it.. save the time.  When dried you
get a  fluffy, dusty pile of seeds ( like a pile of burned up
newspapers) and a twig or two.  nothing to provide the glue or
waterproofing capability of cow/horse poo.

OK, well, if inquiring minds wanted to know.......

  Charmaine Taylor Publishing
What is cob? New DVD http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/whiscoinondv.html
PO BOX 375   CUTTEN CA 95534  USA
  Tel:  707-441-1632   11-4 PST

  Of course everyone knows NOT to use cat or dog poo...right?