[Cob] surprized by failure- Bathroom and kitchen

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine tms at northcoast.com
Thu Sep 6 12:20:34 CDT 2007

HI I am really surprized by the failure of the lime plaster ( if that
is truly the reason)  in the bathroom.

I ALSO have a small North facing bath, cold all year long, and in
shadow from a roof. I too feared mold.  Bu I did a  Chinese recipe I
have talked about before and promote- it is lime soaked with shredded
office paper, a bit of sand, and no  fibers . I thought the paper
would cause problems, maybe something already in the apper, etc
harbored  mold ot germs. but the soaking in a lime tub for 2 weeks must
have killed off anything.

Anyway I  had torn down  the original owner built walls to the studs,(
5 layers of increasing ugly and weird wallpaper and paneling came out-
ugh)  installed a greenboard for moist areas like kitchen & bath - and
used both sticky mesh web and no mesh,  and just plastered over the
walls about 3/8" -1/2" thick.

FIRST I did all raound the shower stall, if was going to FAIL  I wanted
it to be there where the most amount of daily moisture showed up.   The
bath is used just once a day by me,  maybe twice, so it may be your
obsevance of a large bath is correct. no fan, just a window 1"-2" open.

But I have not had one problem of any kind with these walls, I tried
different additives, like a pink  kaolinite clay straight from the
ground, and applied it with various tools and gloved hands to the
walls.  it is perfect...  I never sealed it with anything... the walls
need to permit the moisture to come and go...the lime has turned back
to limestone, so I saw no need to  cover it or coat it over.

  It may be simple ventilation issue or an extra fan needed during use
by many people.  it may be there is just  too much  wetness and enough
"something" for mold to grow.  People shed  skin flakes all day long,
thats what most household dust is... could be as simple as that, and
the house always being moist.

I dont think it is the lime failing...mold has to have a medium, it may
be  that alone that does it,    I'm not an expert on mold, anyone else
have input on this?

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  www.papercrete.com
PO BOX 375   CUTTEN CA 95534  USA