[Cob] [dorethy at centeroftherainbow.com: Re: Bathroom and kitchen]

Horacio J. Peña horape at compendium.com.ar
Thu Sep 6 15:53:41 CDT 2007

----- Forwarded message from Dorethy Hancock <dorethy at centeroftherainbow.com> -----

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:04:51 -0500
From: Dorethy Hancock <dorethy at centeroftherainbow.com>
To: "Horacio J. Peña" <horape at compendium.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [Cob] Bathroom and kitchen

Hi, Horacio,
I put an earthen floor (poured adobe) in my cob house, 3 years ago.  Top
layer got 3 or 4 coats of linseed oil and turpentine--mixed the way Ianto
Evans gives in his book--protected with a mix of linseed oil and beeswax,
(the latter, I repeat once a year.)  The beeswax makes water bead up, so it
worked well in all rooms.  I never really allowed great amounts of water to
stand for long periods--but no one would do that, anyway.  I used large oak
leaves, pressing them into the troweled surface, creating a lovely pattern
on the natural brown floor.  I mop with soap & water as with any other
floor.

As for the walls--the earthen plaster covered with lime plaster was all I
ever used, both interior and exterior, applied by hand.  Lime plaster
lovesmoist conditions; in fact, if you get small cracks, they mend so
easily with
a little misting and burnishing with a smooth object.  I'll grant you, the
rough-applied lime plaster, uncoated, does continue to flake a bit,
especially when it thunders, but it helps one discipline themselves to a
daily sweeping.  If you've built small, that's really not a problem.
Good luck!  (I'm including some pictures for your enjoyment. Sorry I don't
have a good closeup of the floor.)
Namaste!
Dorethy from Kansas