[Cob] can an adobe/frame building in Utah survive a quake? etc

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 23:48:34 CDT 2007

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with knowledge about use of
adobe bricks in Utah or western homes. Topics of interest: history,
construction methods, materials used, original finish coat materials, and
especially, earthquake susceptibility, leaky roofs or any problems with
concrete stucco slapped over adobe.

It turns out that our "new" (to us) 103 yr old two story frame house
(Utah) has adobe bricks (they turn into mud if you get them wet) mortared up
between the wall studs up to the roof line, with lath and plaster over
this.  Outside is stucco (new, concrete unfortunately). The wall is only
8 inches thick including lath/plaster and stucco, so I am pretty sure it is
only one wythe of bricks thick (the ones between the studs). I can't see the
outside due to stucco. Bricks measure 10 inches long by 3 1/2 half high, by
probably 4(?).

What is this building method called?  I call it a hybrid frame/adobe. Seems
pretty solid except for tapping on walls under windows (both levels)
produces a hollow sound from the inside and more solid sound outside.
Anyone with some earthquake expertise can maybe answer my main question
about if our house would survive an earthquake better because of it's wooden
framing, than an all adobe house without the studs.  "They" say we are
overdue for an earthquake, (every 350 years, last one near our section was
in 1600) and I have read that adobe buildings don't weather them well. I
thought we were buying an all frame house (I was concerned about
un-reinforced brick, so stayed away from brick altogether). The adobe is
only visible in one closet.

Aside from the worry about quakes, I am interested in the reason for
bricking between studs. Our neighbor in Pennsylvania tore the siding off
his160 yr old wood frame house revealing fired clay bricks mortared up
between the wall studs on the first level only, (a misguided effort at
insulating?) I have always been curious about this method of laying any kind
of brick between studs ever since, would appreciate any info about bricks
between studs in general.

I believe there are lots of full adobe houses here in Utah, built by Mormon
settlers. It's just my luck to end up with the half-adobe version : ), but
then again, maybe it is my good fortune if it is stronger in quakes!

You can email me off-list, as this probably is off-topic and I think I can
only get away with it once (not sure if everyone considers adobe to be a
form of "cob"), so apologize to anyone who finds my questions off-topic and
annoying.  I couldn't find an adobe listserve anywhere and you folks know a
lot of things about natural building, and some of you about the quake
stuff.  If there is an adobe listserve, I would love to know.

Thanks

P.S., if anyone in Utah is interested in helping with a strawbale building
the next several weekends (and eventually other forms of natural building,
maybe cob and light claystraw) in Spring City, Utah, email me for more info.
Spring City is an hour and a half south of Provo.