[Cob] Jaanus trench

Tim Nam tkn317071 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 11:29:52 CDT 2007

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like small sandy gravel  as void fill in this case will not retain water, especially if the sub soil is already sandy.  Here in Oregon where the soil is mostly clay, we add sand to improve drainage in our gardens.

I hate to be a downer, but my concern is building on sand in general should be avoided.  perhaps a continuous concrete bond beam is acceptable here with rebar?

The gabion idea seems good.

If the sand is that loose, perhaps a clay layer between the footing rocks and the sandy subsoil will be enough to stop rocks from moving out and sand from moving in.

I don't understand why the rocks would be moving into the sand.

joe at skeesick.com wrote: You could always use a gabion foundation. If you are concerned with retention of the rubble, this would certainly solve that issue. You could even extend them up to be your stem wall as well. Just plaster the above ground area to hide the cage.

   Mary Lou,
   Thank you for answer!
   Yes, there is danger that trench stones under stem wall move
   horizontally into sandy soil and the same time sand flow into trench.
   Probably small stones like rubble move more easily into sandy soil?
   Then is maybe better way to fill footing trench with bigger stones(5-8
   inch)and fill the gaps with sandy gravel? But then it will hold the
   water, that is not good?
   Is anybody has experience with some kind of plastic tarp using
   vertically for trench protection?
   Regards
   Jaanus
   Euronics on Eesti ja Euroopa suurim kodutehnikakett! Tule vaata!
   4399.- Fotokaamera Nikon (COOLPIXS51BR). Kliki:
   [1]http://www.Euronics.ee/b/070910.mailee?COOLPIXS51BR

References

   1. http://www.Euronics.ee/b/070910.mailee?COOLPIXS51BR