[Cob] Jaanus trench

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 21:08:58 CDT 2007

I have not built a rubble foundation or cob building.
Nor do I understand how a rubble foundation derives
its tinsel strength, I assume that a rubble foundation
does not have any tinsel strength. I have built a
conventional foundation, and if I understand your
description, which is a big if, I would dig the
foundation deep enough to extend below the frost depth
and install compression resistant insulation (I know
nothing about this other than is exists) on the bottom
of the trench and rigid underground foam (usually pink
or blue) around the outside and run any pipes such as
water supply and waist lines or high and low voltage
electrical conduit and fill the trench with any combo
of gravel and sand that you have. I think some big
gravel or rock should be used above ground if you are
bringing the foundation up a little bit.
Cheers,
Shody