[Cob] Urea as Binder in Cob (long post)

Mahavir Mahedu lonthia at yahoo.co.in
Sun Oct 21 01:54:51 CDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your responses.

Andrew is right, by drywall I mean random rubble without any sort of mortar. This is an art and a very old and time tested technology. There are many experts of this technology in my area. I recently photographed an entire house built by drywall technique in a seismic zone 5 , which is some 300 kms from my site. It has survived an earthquake of 8 on richters scale. But still, it is different to build a foundation by drywall technique and then a cob wall on it.

But I have decided to go with it.

We have a very old tradition of building cob houses in India, but the houses are limited to small modest dwellings for the poor. We don't have huge houses like they have in UK. A community named "Od" is well known for this tradition and they generally build house of circular shape known as either "kooba" or "bhunga". Although the UK method is far superior.

A weed with higher urea content was an interesting suggetion.

Also, how about adding a plasticiser like ligno sulphonate to the cob ?  Has anyone tried this ?

Mahavir.