[Cob] Roofing question & thoughts

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Nov 15 00:39:58 CST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, drub wrote:

> Am thinking of the roof design.  Have seen pictures of several cob
> houses with fairly flat roofs.  Gotta believe a membrane was used.  Some
> have been planted.
>
>    * What kind of membrane was used?  Conventional roofing membrane?
>      Some sort of swimming pool product?
>    * Is a membrane a good, long term choice?  As materials become more
>      expensive and less available, will this sort of membrane be
>      serviceable in future years of depletion?

For roofs that have been planted (living roofs), pond liner is probably
the most commonly used membrane, there are a variety of different pond
liner materials available, however, the most durable I have seen is EPDM,
it's extremely tough, non-toxic, and has been around since at least the
1940's.  From what I have read EPDM has a 50 year life expectancy, though
that is probably only for exposed surfaces, if you keep it covered, it
will probably last alot longer.  I have been using 45 mil (1 mil = 1/1000
inch) EPDM for my roofs.  Best place I have seen for it is Water Garden
Creations:

    http://www.watergardencreations.com/

NOTE: last time I bought from them, their prices included shipping within
the continental USA, where shipping is extra with the other companies I
have looked at.

>    * Would a conventional asphalt shingle be a better, more sustainable
>      choice?  It would likely be more available.  True?

Asphalt shingles are not that durable over the long haul and in particular
don't hold up well to higher temperatures (most people I met while
teaching in Australia had never seen it other than on TV and often
weren't sure what it was).

>    * What other materials should be considered?  Tiles?

Tiles can be a good roofing system, however, they tend to be expensive
and somewhat brittle.  Tile also makes for a very heavy roof so you need a
roof structure comparable to what you would need for a lighter weight
living roof.