[Cob] Free Bentonite in Seattle and SWIR clay anaysis

jwellman at jwgeo.com jwellman at jwgeo.com
Sun Dec 23 13:55:45 CST 2007

   Hi everyone,
   I am including a link to a method to identify clays, called SWIR
   (Short Wave Infrared) that uses an analysis tool call the "PIMA".
   [1]http://www.pimausa.com/clay_min.htm
   It includes some rather in-depth discussion of the various clay
   species.  I do not know what pimausa would charge to analyze a few
   samples for your project, but I would highly recommend it.  Different
   clay species have different properties, some of significance for any
   sort of construction application like COB.
   I have taken a course on the use of PIMA, and have used it.  It looks
   a little like a flashlight with a pistol handle and wires to a
   computer.  The user holds the 'end' about 1 cm away from the material,
   and holds the trigger for about 10 seconds or so, until the device
   indicates it has recorded a reading.
   Good luck in all of your projects.
   On a different note, what ideas have people considered for
   exterior-to-COB insulation?
   Cheers,
   Jesse D. Wellman
   Economic Geologist