[Cob] fridge vs. no fridge

Kindra Welch kindra at claysandstraw.com
Sat Dec 29 11:48:13 CST 2007

Hey Tys... in New Mexico we started with no fridge, just coolers, then
upgraded to basement (basically your under floor storage) and finally to
basement + hand-me-down fridge.  According to our eating patterns its the
greens, other veggies, leftovers and apple juice that suffers most with no
fridge.  Good organic food is 30 miles away. Having no fridge doubles or
triples our shopping trips during the week, otherwise the food spoils.  The
veggies definitely keep longer in the basement but not a whole week, the
apple juice only about 3 days before turning. In order to make only 1 trip
to town per week, we happily accepted the fridge our neighbor was giving
away.  Also the ability to prepare a large amount of food and then tuck it
away for a quick lunch is quite convenient.  I found without a fridge that
we ended up losing all of our leftovers.
So ideally we would have time to cook at every meal, eat lots of fermented
and home canned foods, have a garden and orchard to harvest veggies straight
from the land, but that requires: time, practice, experience, spot with full
sun, and enough time between frosts to get things going.... all of which are
a little scarce in our particular situation.
I would say, turn off your fridge for a month and see what you figure out.
Kindra