[Cob] double pane windows

Ray Cirino cobanation at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 15:46:04 CST 2008

Dear Double pains,
  I have a major window and door manufacturer near my shop that gives me drop off sticks for my rocket stoves. I go thru their dumpster and always find new factory assembled double pain window and door pains. I would think if there is a big city remodeling like LA. you could find tons of windows in all shapes and sizes. I'm starting a cob playhouse in Venice,CA this winter that will be all double pain from that same dumpster. If I start collecting them I'll make it worth anyones wild, just pay for shipping and handling.
  Ray

Henry Raduazo <raduazo at cox.net> wrote:
  I tried to enclose a double pane window in cob and almost got away
with it. Realizing that cob shrinks when it dries, I put one inche of
crushable foam around the sides, top and bottom. I should have also
put a layer of foam across the face of the glass where the arch
enclosed it. The outer pain broke but the inner pane held. I ended up
with a single pane window despite the best laid plans.
Ed