[Cob] Q re: Clay-to-sand ratios?

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 11:30:37 CDT 2008

Dear Muddy,
Here is a piece I've written for a cob intro class I teach.  Hope
this helps.
john fordice - cob research institute.
MIXING THE COB and  BUILDING WITH IT

DESIGNING THE MIX
Scopeing the mix is a bit of an art and requires observation,
communication with the materials, and some practice.  The goal is to
get as much sand in the mix as you can & still be able to build with
it.  The best way to do this is make a series of test bricks from
your materials and see how they are when they dry out.  After you’ve
found reliable sources of soil / sand / & straw, you are ready to
proceed.
Check that the soil contains clay - pour a bit of water into a
handful of the dry soil - knead / mix it together in you palm till
you get a handful semi-soft sticky mud - squeeze the mud in your fist
so the mud extrudes out between your fingers & palm - if this muddy
handful resists when you open your hand, you have clay bearing soil -
the stickier it is , the more clay it contains.
To determine your mix it is best to add our components use a small
measuring scoop - this enables translation of your test results into
larger construction batches
Mix your test bricks in a shallow mixing container - small cat boxes
are excellent.
The mix test is progressive and additive - each step is toss tested
for impact integrity , sticking to your muddy palm, and resistance to
pulling apart.
A toss test consists of forming a ball of gelatinous consistency mix
- tossing it up 2 or 3 feet and catching it so it impacts your open
flat palm - the goal is a mix that has as much sand in it as possible
and:
1.  does not fracture  on impact
2.  just barely sticks to your muddy palm when
     you invert it
3.  a ball that breaks apart only when you pull on
      it slightly.
Start with one measure of soil - wet it just enough to make a
gelatinous plastic mix ( be careful to not over wet  - if you do,
just add a small amount of dry material to adjust back to the
gelatinous state ) - toss test it.
Do a series of Incremental additions of 1/2 measures of sand - wet &
mix till gelatinous & toss test each incremental mix.
Keep record of the number of 1/2 measures added.
Continue this process until the tossed ball looses it’s integrity and
breaks apart easily on impact - this is will happen when you pass the
limit of how much sand can be added.
Subtract one measure of sand from your recorded count - this should
be the optimum proportions of soil and sand for your mix.
Make a series of 3 test mixes bracketed plus & minus 1/2 measure of
sand.
Repeat the same test mixes with straw added - add as much straw as
you can and still have the mix workable
Form each test mix into a 1 1/2 thick rectangular brick.
Place each brick on a sand covered board to dry - be sure to write
the mix proportions of each brick into it’s surface.
Allow the test bricks to sit till dry - the brick that is strongest
and does not crack on drying is your approximate  mix
Congratulations !!!  MIXING THE COB and  BUILDING WITH IT