[Cob] factory waste vs nature

billc billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Tue May 13 15:49:13 CDT 2008

At 8:06 PM -0700 5/11/08, Kristi Shapla wrote:
>Wow, I never dreamed our little art guild bench and mini house would
>cause such a stir!
>The factory starts with white clay (from Nevada) and sand, extracts
>minerals for toothpaste, etc, and is left with white clay and sand
>minus the minerals.  We got 10 gallons of it today to play with.  It
>is pretty wet, and mostly clay.  So, we will add dray sand to make
>up for it.  But it is gorgeous stuff.
>
>It makes me feel better that there are people who are actually more
>phobic of modern materials than I am.
>
>However, I still see no reason to extract huge amounts of clay from
>the environment if I have two semi truckloads of this each day at my
>fingertips.  let's not be so exclusive that we end up creating more
>destruction.  What if every person in America suddenly wanted to
>build a cob home?  Where would we get that amount of clay without
>creating more ecological destruction?  I know that would never
>happen, but if everyone thought that way, it would be no better.  I
>believe the biggest revolutionary ideas are how to use what we have
>in excess, at hand.  Does anyone believe that 6 billion people can
>live completely naturally on this planet?
>
>Besides--NO SIFTING!!!
>
>I can't wait to see what white clay looks like in cob, I have only
>seen and worked with red cob.

As some have pointed out, you might want to check what the factory
does to it to extract what they extract to be sure that what you're
getting is safe.  Sounds like it might be OK, but I'd hate to build
something important with it and then discover that it contains some
nasty substance.

I'm of the mind that the waste streams of society can often be viewed
instead as resources.  As Tom Watson (of "watson wick" wastewater
system fame) so elegantly puts it, nearly every creature in nature
has its mouth attached to some other creature's anus - one being's
waste is another's food.  If we as a society can make use of those
"waste" streams, then we can eliminate much of the waste.  Each
industry's waste would be resources for the next, in a continuous
network, just like real biological life works.

ZERI.org does this kind of thing in the real world.  They've found
that typically when there's a problem of too much of something, you
can eliminate the overabundance while creating new jobs or new
industries with the application of some creative thinking.  See their
case studies for some examples.

It sounds to me like you may have found an excellent material source
- cheap, abundant, and hopefully clean and safe.  I'm kinda jealous.
Where are you located?  ;-)

--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com