[Cob] cob vs adobe

Leslie Moyer Unschooler at atlasok.com
Fri Jun 27 15:09:18 CDT 2008

Maggie,

IMO, there are only a couple reasons to use adobe instead of cob:

1. It is pre-made by someone else / mass-produced / labor-saving for you
/ quick to install.
2. If you have to make the cob in one geographic location and move it to
another location (more than "people" distance apart) for your application.
3. If you have the opportunity to make adobe at one time when your use
is further distant in TIME.  (i.e. a renter who is stockpiling adobe for
an eventual home)

Otherwise, I don't think there is any advantage to using adobe in the
application you gave and I think there are probably disadvantages to
it.  Cob will, sculpturally, be a lot more flexible.  However, there's
no reason that you can't mix the two (and I think there are probably
advantages to doing it this way--drying time will probably be less, for
example).

--Leslie