[Cob] Initial planning questions

Virgil Vaduva vvaduva+coblist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:25:36 CDT 2008

Greetings to all.

My wife and I are in the initial planning stages of hopefully building a cob
house here in the Dayton Ohio area.  I would like to have as many of the
project details planned out in order to estimate costs and time accurately,
so I am wondering if anyone has a rough estimate on how much cob one person
can lay or stack in an hour or day, perhaps giving an average of a 2 feet
wide wall, at a height of 2 feet?  Having never done this before, I cannot
accurately estimate this, although I will build a shed as practice before
working on the house.

Also, I am kind of concerned about Ohio Building Code; I sent out some email
to the local county building inspectors and after I did so I am getting the
feeling that they are looking up "cob house" in a dictionary in order to
determine what it actually means; if anyone from Ohio is here on the list,
please let me know if you have any words of wisdom.

A third question is regarding the size of the home.  We would like to have
about 1,500 to 2,000 sq. feet of space because of a large family.  Is a cob
house this large feasible?

Many thanks