[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 85

tom tom at honeychrome.com
Fri Jul 11 16:38:35 CDT 2008

> A third question is regarding the size of the home.  We would like
> to have
> about 1,500 to 2,000 sq. feet of space because of a large family.
> Is a cob
> house this large feasible?

Not really.  For a house that size, as well as for your climate,
straw bale construction would make more sense.  I'd urge you to take
a cob workshop before investing a lot of time in the planning and
banging your head against the building department.  Cob is beautiful
and satisfying but also a tremendous amount of work and definitely
not ideal in all situations.  A workshop will give you hands-on
experience that will most surely have an effect on your plans.
Better to get that material experience before putting lots of effort
into designing (and getting approval).