[Cob] smoothing wall in preparation for plaster

Nancy Striniste nstriniste at earlyspace.com
Mon Aug 4 11:55:29 CDT 2008

I worked with Ed Raduazzo a few years ago building two playhouses in
Arlington, VA, and we did a combination of things to smooth walls.  They
were built in large part by kids so were pretty "organically shaped".  Where
the wall had big protrusions we used a saw and hacked off the biggest bumps,
or a knife to cut off pieces of sticking out straw.  We also used a mix of
clay, sand and shredded paper (instead of straw) to smooth over and fill in
gaps. If you soak the shredded paper in warm water overnight before adding
to the clay sand mix, it creates a nice pulp with fibers that makes a good
smooth plastery coat to smooth the rough walls.
Good luck.
Nancy