[Cob] cement mixer

phil philhawnnc at excite.com
Tue Aug 5 21:48:24 CDT 2008

I have had tremendous luck with a cement mixer and my mix does not come out too wet. To keep it from being too wet a mix, we soak all our clay and then mix it with a paddle mixer on a drill until it is like a thick milkshake. We add this to the mixer in which we have already placed our sand. After letting it rotate for a bit and making any adjustments needed we add two large stones that tumble along with the clay/sand and mash it up while helping to keep it from sticking to the drum. We then add straw. Some straw may need to be added after turning it out into the wheel barrow and moving it to the wall. We also use a good bit of shredded paper in our cob and plasters. It makes it feel stickier and makes a lighter mix. We try to never add just plain water and instead only use clay slip.

Phil