[Cob] straw in cob or concrete?

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 11:02:25 CDT 2008

Damon & all,
Cob and concrete are both compressive strength materials & relatively
low in tensile strength.
so when considering adding a tensile component to either  it is
cogent, the difference in compressive strength between cob & concrete.
Cob is around 200 psi ( pounds per square inch ) & concrete is
normally at least 2000 psi minimum.
The tensile strength provided to both cob & concrete by adding a
tensile component ( such as fiber in the case of straw & rebar in the
case of concrete) will depend on three things:
1. the tensile capacity of the added component
	a. concrete is very high & measured in K (1000's of pounds)
	b. straw is unknown, but apparently quite low when compared to steel
2. the ability of the compressive material to grip the tensile
component.
	a.  rebar has an irregular surface to transfer the tensile strength
into the compressive capacity of concrete
	b. straw is essentially smooth so the transfer will be low
3. the development length of the tensile component , or how long the
tensile component needs to be to take advantage of the ability of the
compressive material to grip it.

So, with out more data, it's difficult to say how straw will perform
as a tensile component in concrete.  My guess is not to good.
But, as you point out, the only way to know for sure is try it.  Lots
of variables to consider & the result is quite apt to vary too!
Cob on.

john fordice  -  Cob Research Institute