[Cob] update on trench issues

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 10:34:57 CDT 2008

Cement foundation, fact or urban legend?:   In Ohio I helped to build
a two story house at a place called Greenfire. on a concrete stem
wall. I do not know if the house was finished. The owner's name was
Hogan. The building stood for at least two years that I know of with
no wicking problems or damage from water. I would think that if the
concrete was dense good quality cement, and if you have a fairly
decent drainage system around the wall, the cob wall will wick and
evaporate water faster than the cement can transport it.
	Good quality cement is made with as little water as possible while
still permitting the cement to flow and be leveled out and good
concrete is made with lots of good quality nonporous rock and sand
aggregate. I find it hard to believe that good quality cement made
with good sand and stone aggregate will conduct enough water to cause
a problem. Concrete is usually a problem because it does not have
enough capillary action. Water is conducted through earth walls
relatively quickly and condenses on concrete used as an exterior
finish causing the earth under the finish to saturate and sluff off.
	With that said it is probably quite easy to make bad concrete. I
teach a tufa pot class where peat moss, sand plastic fibers and
cement are used to build a flower pot for outdoor use. The pot walls
conduct water and breath like crazy because of the capillary action
of the peat moss. Any porous aggregate like sand stone or certain
types of shale would have the same effect, but a quarts aggregate and
quarts sand would have the opposite effect.
	The place to look for a definitive answer would be out west where
there are many adobe houses built on all sorts of foundations. Does
any one know of an adobe house on a concrete foundation that had
problems? Is there a code regarding adobe walls on concrete stem walls?
	I also built a cob wall on a cement block foundation in a problem
location, and I had no problems from wicking water. The soil at the
bottom of the foundation trench was so soft that you could poke a
stick into it with just hand pressure, there was no way to drain the
cite and the area was known to be 12 inches under water after heavy
rain storms.
	We pounded roman bricks into the bottom of the foundation pit using
an ugly stick, partially filled our pit with tamped rubble, and built
up from the rubble with stone filled cement blocks. This is probably
not a good test for a house wall because the cob wall was only 4 foot
high, but there was no wicking problem.
	When you build a wall with urbanite the mortar joints and air spaces
between the pieces of cement all act as breaks to capillary action.
In my block wall above the air spaces between the stone in the cement
block also breaks up capillary action.
	The problem with the cob and adobe industry is there is not enough
definitive data and experience. I know of a couple places where
concrete foundations caused no problems. What I need is to find a
place where it did cause a problem so I can then go and analyze why
the problem occurred and how it can be fixed.
	Vapor barriers are easy and cheap to construct. They do provide a
potential shear line where a house can slide off a foundation during
an earth quake, but you have the same problem with urbanite or stone
foundations. In my block foundation, in the example above, I just
filled the top course of blocks half way with stone and cob filled
the other half of the blocks bonding them together and providing a
keying action between the blocks and foundation. You could do the
same thing by setting cement blocks or even stones in the wet
concrete footing and partially filling the blocks with stone and part
with cob. Thus you have a capillary break and a keying structure.
	Regarding bricks and blocks:
	Concrete blocks or cinder blocks are not as bad as many people
think. They are mostly waste material and a little cement enclosing
large air spaces. The cheap cost is a good indicator of how little
embodied energy is represented by a cinder block.
  	Fired bricks on the other hand require a gallon of fuel to make
eight bricks. I think of them as finding money when I see good bricks
discarded along the highway.
	Good information helps us to make good decisions.  Most people do
not analyze problems and report them when they occur. We need someone
to collect data regarding problems. So we are not stuck speculating.

I know what I know, but I don't know what I don't know.
Ed