[Cob] Lime life cycle...

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Wed Oct 8 02:47:46 CDT 2008

CaCO3 + extreme heat = CaCO (quicklime) - extremely volatile powder,
can explode when water is added!
CaCO + H2O = Ca(OH)2 (hydrated lime) + extreme heat(!) - this is the
"slaking process", yield is good for lime plasters, lime washes, etc
- be sure to keep under water!
Ca(OH)2 + CO2 = CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) - also known as "chalk" or
agricultural lime, inert ingredient, can't be used in lime washes or
plasters

if hydrate lime "dries out" then it reacts with CO2 to form CaCO3 -
"agricultural lime" - as per Shannon's explanation

Good luck!
Ocean