[Cob] Clay (Bill Christensen)

philmoulton philmoulton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:58:39 CST 2008

That's why we are "here" to gain knowledge and learn from others comments.

As for a work crew. there is myself and my wife, as I no longer expect
anyone to help or even be interested in helping including my grown kids.
As we are now both over 50 it is a daunting challenge, Toss in a 90 mile
commute one way and a 9-5 job as well it is not going to be easy, however I
feel compelled for a unknown reason to leave my home of 30 years and start
it as soon as possible.

My concern with straw bale is concerns with mold as my wife does have
asthma.
It also will not wick out any moisture as cob does. (I do not think). But
its construction would be much faster.
It appears tho that there are accepted building codes for straw bale, but I
would need someone versed in planning such a structure to create a well made
set of plans I can work from. Cob appears to be easier in that respect and
the idea of a monolithic structure on a solid rebared foundation it would
withstand natural and non-natural disasters much better then a stick or
brick structure.

We have our home on the market here in Portland and are relocating to the
cabin we have in Bear creek by the 15th of November, Unfortunately the cabin
is barely livable due to structural and mold issues. I accept though that
this project will take 2 years to complete at best.
If we are unable to purchase the neighbors cabin we will have to live out of
a trailer once we start.
I would like to get a poured concrete foundation in the ground this
winter/spring and start construction in the summer.
So planning and design takes a priority.
Hopefully by then someone in the Pacific NW will have a class scheduled to
give us more first hand knowledge.

My preferred method is find someone who for the same amount of $$ would be
interested in direct mentoring. As we are not interested in creating a
"artsy" bench but a fully livable/functional and legal home.
And taking a week off work and learn to build a stove, well I would rather
it go to a set of plans and first hand experience.
(As well as suggestions to go straw bale or ?? Due to siting issues as they
could see what I have to work with first hand.)

Phil