[Cob] Framing doors and windows

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Thu Dec 18 16:48:40 CST 2008

Janet: I assume that you have chapter 14 Of the hand sculpted House
in front of you. If not I can photograph the section and send it to
you. The main problem with framing a door in a cob wall is making
sure that the roughed in opening formed of 2X6 or 2X4 or any other
rough framing remains square and does not deform as the weight of the
cob begins pressing against the roughed in opening. This is done with
an X-brace which is removed when you install the door.
	Are you going to use a pre-hung door or form the door inside the frame?
	Are you serious about a wall 5 feet thick? What are you building? A
fortress designed to stop artillery sells might need 5 feet but a
house does not. Perhaps what you are looking for is an earth
sheltered house. This does not require mixing individual batches of
cob, and there are several good books on the subject.
	If you have lots of heavy equipment and really want thick walls you
might consider a rammed earth wall. Surely not cob. I have a neat
picture of people tamping a rammed earth wall wearing traditional
garb of some African country which I can send you.
	I can also send you pictures of people building cob and straw bale
hybrid walls. I have done this myself and I like it. The cob portion
of the wall can be as thin as six inches tied to full or half bales
if you are only doing one story. This cuts dow on your cob mixing
immensely and still give you a well insulated wall.
Ed