[Cob] Cob roofing

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Fri Dec 19 20:53:03 CST 2008

Phil: I built a couple of bamboo basket domes covered with a water
resistant daub made of clay, paper pulp and white (Elmer's) glue
which is later treated with linseed oil to make it more or less water
proof. I have never built one larger than 7 foot in diameter, but
theoretically you should be able to make it much larger. The bamboo
here in Washington, DC has a climax height of 40 ft. and you can cut
and split 20 foot long sections suitable for weaving, but I do not
recommend working with piece longer than ten feet. Still by splicing
you might be able to get something much larger. I have a couple photo
essays covering the process that I can send you if you can receive
big files with pictures.
	If you are looking for a temporary form I issued a half dozen
patents on inflatable domes used for forming concrete when I worked
at the US Patent and Trademark Office. You can get inflatable forms,
but  I suspect they are high dollar Items.
	Willow can also be used for weaving when bamboo is not available,
but you need to develop a willow grove that you can harvest every year.
Ed