[Cob] Janet-windows, doors, thick walls

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Dec 22 08:08:44 CST 2008

Again regarding 5 foot thick earth walls earth sheltered building
design is well known and there are several good books that explain
how it works. Basically you try to put portions of your house below
ground and the above ground portion is covered with an earthen berm
at least 6 foot thick. The actual wall is usually constructed from
cinder block or cast concrete, but I think rammed tires have also
been used.
	Earth bags might work as the interior wall as well, but I know of no
place where it has been tried.  You would need to make the wall
convex for more strength and be very careful placing the earthen berm
so that the pressure of the earth does not cave in your wall.
Insulation, if any, is provided on the interior wall. The earth used
for the berm covering the outside of the wall can be sand or clay or
garden soil you do not care. You use whatever soil you have available.
	There are even a few videos on the internet. I think you can find
them by searching "earthship", but I am not a big fan of ramming dirt
into old tires.
	I currently have in my book collection: Earth Sheltered Housing:
Code, Zoning and Financing Issues by the U.S. Department of Housing
and Urban Development, The Complete Book of Underground Houses by Rob
Roy, and How to build an Underground House by Malcolm Wells. I also
had one of the earth ship books but I may have loaned that out.
	These books are left over from my days as a Patent Examiner and if
there is anyone one on this list who is actually considering building
an earth sheltered house, I will be glad to loan them to anyone
willing to pay shipping out and back. I want them back in six months.
(That is plenty of time to read them and copy out anything you might
need.)
Ed