[Cob] Re. Howard's Rant

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Wed Dec 31 10:40:52 CST 2008

Howard,
	What a keen observation you've made about the press. Being the press
has a lot of power, if they would print more articles on the
alternative energy/building materials home front they may initiate
more approval to those willing to research and develop more
sustainable lifestyles. But as it stands, if someone says they're
building a cob structure which they intend to live in, the building
office just simply says "you can't live in that because it's not an
approved building material." I've been told directly by the director
of planning and development that if it's not in the code book, I
can't legally build it. What's sad is research has been done, but
must get suppressed by the press because... remember the earthquake
test in Vancouver on a cob building recently? It did extremely well.
The man doing the test said the chances of a quake of that magnitude
hitting Vancouver was nearly none. SO WHY HASN'T THOSE TEST RESULTS
RIPPLED THROUGH THE BUILDING DEPARTMENTS echoing the stability of
cob? The test results must have been filed away never to be seen
again. We cobbers want that "proof" in our hands but we can't get it!
The fact that anyone who wants to build a cob home has to do it under
the radar is absurd! The results are in, but they're scattered all
over and need to be compiled and handed out. Unfortunately in this
case, as of now, I am one of those people wanting someone else (those
with the authority) to the leg work for me. I have articles and specs
on other building materials similar to cob, but no cob because it
can't be found. Yeah, sorry, now I'm ranting too! But it's for the
best I think.

Damon