[Cob] lime mortar

Kathryn Marsh kmarsh at iol.ie
Sat Jan 10 07:26:41 CST 2009

Their properties are different Bob. Lime mortar does need more
frequent repointing to stay watertight but will last well so long as
the pointing is done right - i.e. it is finished so that it sheds
water. Cement will last longer but because it is a more complete
moisture barrier you can get all sorts of problems from condensation
build up inside the walls to moisture going through the stone instead
of through the mortar. This can lead to flaking of the stone. Its a
real problem round here where many walls are built of the local
limestone beach stone. They lasted for centuries with lime mortar
which "breathed" but from about 1920 onwards, and particularly from
the 60s on, people have repointed them with cement and found that
houses which had been dry since the middle ages are now really damp.
And more seriously that the stones themselves are breaking up as
moisture builds up in them

kathryn