[Cob] lime mortar

howard at earthandstraw.com howard at earthandstraw.com
Sat Jan 10 10:53:38 CST 2009

>From your description it does not sound like the wall failed because of the mortar but from the soaking and softening of the soil below it from being unprotected.

Howard Switzer, Architect
668 Hurricane Creek Road
Linden, TN 37096
931-589-6513
www.earthandstraw.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Smolen
  To: coblist at deatech.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:19 AM
  Subject: [Cob] lime mortar

  Last fall, I started gathering old foundation rocks for my cob project. At two sites,only the 8ft stone stem wall was standing where a barn once stood. It was probably 110 years or older. I was able to knock down the wall by pushing on a leaning section. I did not really look at the foundation but the owners commented that the wall came down easy because of the mortar used in the old days. I believe he said it lacked cement which means it must have been lime mortar. Is this an indictment of a non cement mortar? I know the wall was subjected to years of weather unprotected so  maybe deterioration should be expected. On the other hand, I dont think the weather would have affected cement mortar. ( I did not notice the foundation wall. It may have heaved after the roof of the barn was off allowing moisture under the footer causing frost heave).
  Is lime mortar as good or close to as good as cement mortar for buiding stone walls?
  Thanks,
  Bob