[Cob] The Mushroom House

Rob Lewis RLewis at davmail.org
Sat Jan 10 16:11:57 CST 2009

Hey all...

I've been meaning to post these here for some time now. I took these photos a few years ago while on assignment in Aspen. I spotted this beautiful home dug into a hillside just outside of Snowmass Village and asked my companions to bear with me as I swung into the driveway to get a closer look. I was with David Schuster, the MSNBC correspondent who now has his own show on the network. David suggested we knock and ask for an impromptu tour. I was hesitant, but he walked up to the front door anyway and knocked. When the owner answered, he introduced himself. She recognized him and immediately offered us a tour.

The house is made of feral concrete (I believe that' what it is called) and is nicknamed "The Mushroom House". It is actually a series of connected pods crawling up a hillside. It overlooks an elk run, has three bedrooms and a detached garage with a photo studio. For those of you who have not been in rounded, intimate structures like cob buildings, it's hard to describe just how comfy the place felt...comfy without being too confining. That's why I've linked these photos for you to see...I realize this is not cob and may not even be a sound, sustainable structure, but I believe this is what cob can feel like...

Here are some links...look for the ever-squinting Dave Schuster, who remains my close friend despite his unwillingness to give politics a rest and do some pieces on natural building.

My rental parked by the garage/studio

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture068.jpg

Following Kristina up past the garage to the house

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture071.jpg

Producer Kristina Weischadle--pregnant and loving the house

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture072.jpg

Me meeting the neighbor

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture074.jpg

Love this view...The foyer...notice the cordwood pieced together to make flooring

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture079.jpg

The all-important throne...You walk up stairs to use

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture083.jpg

The gang on the deck...love the fireplace

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture077.jpg

The kitchen

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/sherpa17/Picture089.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed...Peace.