[Cob] insulation and cob

Jennifer Neil jen at shoreham.net
Sun Jan 11 08:40:32 CST 2009

hello all,

i live in vermont (anyone else?) and my husband and i are planning to
build a cob house as soon as we settle on some land. i have read and
heard conflicting things about cob's insulation properties. i thought
that because of the mass of the walls and the straw that it was quite
good, but i just read on someone's website that cob is a poor
insulator and will not perform well in cold climates. on the very
same page there was a testimonial from a couple who live in vermont
and say they live quite comfortably in their cob home. i realize so
much has to do with passive solar access and we plan to site our
house accordingly; however, i have also heard many people say that
straw bale is really the way to go here. we plan to use only a wood
stove for heat, and to build a very small structure initially. we've
considered using straw in the north wall, or, if possible, berming
the north side into the ground...any thoughts?

along those same lines, i was talking with someone who is also
looking to build a cob house in this area but who feels that more
insulation in the walls in necessary. he asked me about options for
putting some kind of thin barrier layer inside the cob wall to add
insulation and seal out the cold. my thought was, though, that would
inhibit cob's natural breathing ability and it doesn't seem like that
makes sense. i would love to hear any thoughts on this.

thanks very much,

jennifer

addison county, vt