[Cob] cob R-value

Bob Smolen boka at mwt.net
Mon Jan 12 23:46:39 CST 2009

It is my understanding that cob has low insulative properties but the mass helps to absorb the sun's rays. With proper orientation and a large thermal mass stove, can a cob building be practical in Wi. where the winter can get a little chilly (high tomorrow 0 F and wind chill -30). In my case , I have a lot of woods from which I could get wood for heating altho it is very laborious to do so.I know that strawbale is better from an insulating standpoint , but I would like to avoid outside inputs unless very necessary.
Thanks,
Bob