[Cob] wood meets cob- transition materials

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:53:28 CST 2009

TRANSITION materials:  burlap,   dress netting, cheesecloth,
potato/onion  poly sacking  loose weave  gauze fabric, rug weaving
backer fabric,  landscape cloth made of woven coir ( coconut fiber)
any very open weave fabric material: place mats come to mind

Hi    I have seen burlap attached or wrapped around wood posts and
then cobbed over.  the burlap needs to be stapled or  tightly
attached so as not to pull loose...     using string or tight wire
wrapping  works.

--  Personally I have used cheesecloth dipped in clay and stretched
tightly across studs as a plaster base ( against a woocdchip  clay
wall infill)

the cheesecloth both stuck to the  woodchip clay surface- and  was
able to host the clay plaster too to cover the 2x6s.  this is in my
old barn-turned-studio

I have also used "dress netting"- a very fine web of mesh used for
making skirts pouf out and for wedding dresses as the volumizer,  most
fashionable in the 50's-  you can buy this  poly fabric at .70 cents a
 6' WIDE yard... so a little goes a long way. it  comes in bright
colors so you can see if you miss a spot.

you can also  lightly  plaster/attach  the netting to a  FLAT
wall/wallboard/particle board, then thinly skim a plaster layer over,
let dry, and come back and add layers. I have used this with a
lime+paper plaster to cover an ugly particleboard wall that couldn't
be easily removed.  not only did the lime plaster cover it, it also
made the wall more fire resistant, as the lime plaster will not burn
( even with a flame at the surface) so it adds security.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com   www. papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534