[Cob] radiant floor tubes in clay floor: insulation?

Doug Shaker doug at theshakers.org
Thu Feb 5 12:46:59 CST 2009

I don't have quite the same situation as you.  I have a frame house
in Northern California. The bottom floor has a concrete slab floor
with radiant heating in the slab.  Under the slab there is vapor
barrier, two layers of bubble-wrap-style mylar insulation (purchased
from the radiant heating supplier) and several inches of gravel.

I don't regret the insulation at all.  The concrete slab takes about
a day or two to come up to heat when I turn on the heating in the fall.
I would hate to think that I was losing a constant and large stream of
heat into the earth all winter.  If I had to redo it, I think I would
put in more insulation.

-Doug "Anonymous" Shaker