[Cob] straw bale wall/rocket stove

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Feb 13 02:42:52 CST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Katherine K Hebenstreit wrote:

> I recall reading somewhere that a rocket stove started a fire in the
> straw-bale wall of the home.   It smoldered slowly.  As I recall it was
> from such a bench.
>
> http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/fire.html
[snip]

The above is a cob fireplace, not a rocket stove, and as I noted
previously (though possibly not that clearly), properly designed and
built, the bench of a rocket stove isn't going to get hot enough to start
a fire in the wall behind it, it really shouldn't ever reach a temperature
of 100 degress F (you're firing it to long or to often if it does).  Of
course if it's not done properly, or you insist on trying to see how hot
you can get the bench by continuously stoking the fire, then all bets are
off.

FWIW,

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -