[Cob] KEEP IT ON TOPIC

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Feb 23 15:04:12 CST 2009

I knew it was to good to last :-)  I've been gone for a couple months
(teaching, lecturing, rabble rousing), but unlike previous trips I didn't
actually announce my departure.  In other words, I'm not constantly online
and available to immediately settle disputes.

Arguments inevitably occur on lists such as this one, the important thing
is to focus not on perceived insults but the relevant list related content
and ignore anything else which you might find offensive, irritating, or
even a personal attack.  If you feel you must respond, do so OFF LIST!
Respond to them personally, and keep it OFF LIST!  With regard to the
current argument, I'm not going to take sides as I have seen problems with
the postings of everyone involved.  This is not to say that I see anything
"wrong" with any of what has been posted, only the collective result,
namely that we have drifted off of the important topic which everyone is
here for.

A few things to keep in mind:

   - Not everyones first language is English, so mis-interpretation and
     mis-statements can occur at any time without any intent to malign
     someone.

   - People sometimes have bad days

   - People often phrase things in ways which can be interpreted in ways
     radically different from how they meant it and in many cases different
     people will have radically different interpretations of the same text

   - How long someone has been on this list or how valuable their
     past contributions has no bearing on whether or not their current
     statement is correct, reasonable, or valuable.  This IS NOT an
     assessment of Charmaine's latest posting, but some people have been
     taking this approach in support of Charmaine.  I have been on this
     list longer than anyone, and I have on occasion said things I
     shouldn't have, phrased things badly, or reacted when having a bad
     day, the fact that I have been here longest, does not make my
     statements anymore correct, reasonable, or appropriate for the list.

The only person on this list who is always right is me by virtue of
being the Coblist-Kahuna, which means that even when I am wrong, I am
right :-)

Please resume cobbing and stick to the technical merits of postings.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -