[Cob] floors- making your own citrus oils?

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 00:02:38 CST 2009

If you have access to a vitamix blender, you could put a lemon with water and let the oil float to the top and skimming it off. It might emulsify, so I wonder if there is a chemical that can be used.

I do not like "boiled" linseed oil, it is toxic with heavy metal and drying agents (?). "raw" linseed lacks that stuff and likely isn't raw, just lacking drying agents.

Another dangerous possibility is to heat the oil, perhaps in a double boiler, I have never done this. Heated oil might penetrate like I imagine a thinning agent would.

Someone suggested this on this list a few years ago and said it works. You could search here and read what they said.

caution; linsed oil, or perhaps boiled linseed oil is known for spontaneously combustion on rags.

Rags can be placed in sealed (metal if possible) containers with air tight lids or spread out flat on the ground away from combustibles if there is no wind expected before they dry completely, or in water. However research this on your own as I am not responsible for any fires based on what I write and I do not know the latest techniques for preventing fires.

Shody