[Cob] Cleaning rocket stove flues in cob benches

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Mar 7 03:16:38 CST 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Susan Hagan wrote:

> I am in the process of building a rocket stove.  Does anyone have
> experience of  if and how often the flues in the benches have to be
> cleaned out?

Hello Su,

Properly designed and constructed, using properly seasoned wood, there
should be no creosote in the bench, only ash.  Over time, you will get a
build up of ash which will eventually cause enough obstruction to
interfere with the  proper operation of the stove (it won't draw properly,
may start burning less cleanly).  For this reason it is recommended that
you include cleanouts in the design of your bench so the ash can be
cleared.  How often you will need to clean it out depends on how
heavily you use it, but it is good practice to thoroughly inspect any wood
stove heating system at least once a year.

I helped with the reconstruction of the rocket stove in the "Heart House"
years ago, and aside from the ash, the stove pipe next to the barrel had
burned out and some of the cob in this section had broken off and fallen
into the flue/exhaust system.  This stove had been in use for a long time,
but for maximum life, I would tend to recommend heavier pipe right next to
the barrel if it is available.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -