[Cob] Limewash/Whitewash and other permeable paint options

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Mar 7 13:17:20 CST 2009

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Simon Matthews wrote:

[snip]
> To date I have done a small test of three coats of whitewash applied one
> day apart directly to the mud render making sure to keep the surface
> damp. Wiping a finger across this test sample will leave a thin smear of
> lime on my finger but the coating remains intact. Is this normal?
[snip]

For lime, dry does not equal "cured", and one day is not enough time for
it to set regardless.  For lime to set requires that it absorb carbon
dioxide from the atmosphere and this is a slow process, though I am not
sure how long it would take to pass your "wipe a finger across it" test, I
would expect at least weeks rather than days, and even then it would not
be a full cure since the process is non-linear, some carbon dioxide is
initially absorbed quickly, but the process continues progressively more
slowly and the tiny bits in the surface which have not cured may continue
to end up on your finger.

FWIW

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -