[Cob] length of straw etc

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Mar 12 17:39:56 CDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Dean Sherwin wrote:

[snip]
> it produces lactic acid which improves waterproofness.  There is
> probably little useful tensile strength once the cob is set  (which
> as we all know can be quite a while...)
[snip]

While I have certainly seen mixes where the straw provided little tensile
strength, I also have worked with mixes where the straw provided enormous
tensile strength after the cob had completely dried (I break a lot of cob
samples).  The specific materials and mix do make a big difference.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -