[Cob] Bottle walls

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 22:46:58 CDT 2009

I am not a cob builder, but I am trying to remember what I read, I think cob walls can be too think for the length of bottles, so people cut the tapered section off the tops of 2 bottles and put the openings together for a longer than normal bottle with lots of light (no taper). I am thinking cob may not be as strong as concrete so maybe there should be more cob between the bottles than in some of the walls in the photos. Bottles might change the inside temp in a cob house compared to one with no bottles. In colder climates, perhaps only the equator facing wall would a good wall to put a lot of bottles in. In warmer climates perhaps the eastern and the polar facing walls would would be better for lots of bottles? I do not really know, I am thinking glass in the western wall would heat the house at the end of the day, when you might like to avoid heat.
Shody