[Cob] arched door, frame?

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Thu Apr 2 11:33:22 CDT 2009

I’m figuring on an arched exterior doorway, and I’m gathering wood pieces so
I have stuff in place before this summer’s cobbing.  I’m going to put a 4x4
on the hinge side, to connect the door to, but since I’m building an arched
doorway that opens in – with a raised threshold – I’m planning on having the
cob/plaster be the ‘stop’ – the thing the door hits/touches when it closes.
Thus, the opening of the doorway will be say ½ inch smaller than the
circumference of the door.

I’ll probably put some sort of weather strip around that doorstop, but
that’s not the question.

The question is: on the knob side of the door, do you think I should put a
wood piece as that door stop, or just have cob and plaster for that, with
perhaps a deadman in place for the lock/clasp to go into?

In other words, will cob hold up to repeated closing of a door, or do I need
to put some wood in there?

Tys

Choose your own provider with no waiting periods with Spirit Dental and
Vision Insurance at

www.spiritdental.com