[Cob] resemblance in cob and underground

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Apr 6 15:02:55 CDT 2009

The University of Minnesota carried out extensive research on
underground buildings and published a book back in the 70's. After
reading about underground (basement) houses and their insulation
values, orientation, size and placement of windows and even the dirt
on the roof, I thought how much it resembles cob and how much more of
an understanding I have of design. The major thing cob has that
underground houses don't would be solar gain. In a basement house all
your windows are on the south wall, and the rest of your windows
would be skylights. Thermal storage may be about the same since a two
foot thick cob wall is essentially like living in the ground. And the
other thing, which I know American cobbers are against is the yards
and yards of concrete that goes into an underground structure. I do
believe you could design a cob home exactly like they design
underground homes and come out with a very energy efficient home,
plus have a lot of numbers because the university done the research.

Damon in GA